View Single Post
Old 02-19-22, 11:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10466 Post(s)
Liked 11,963 Times in 6,125 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
No, I’m not trolling. Ask yourself which bike you would rather ride in Virtus’ scenario? Assuming smooth road riding and not mountain biking, most people would opt for any bike but the mountain bike…largely because of the large rolling resistance loses in the mountain bike case.

Think of it this way: You are tasked with moving eight 10 lb rocks from one end yard to the other by carrying them. Eight trips with a 10 lb rock is relatively easy. Four trips with two 10 lb rocks is harder but still doable. Two trips with four 10 lb rocks would be hard but is a whole lot harder. See where I’m going? A single trip takes a whole lot more effort than any of those other methods. Same work, same energy input (ignore the return trip) but, from a physiological perspective, it’s a whole lot harder to do one trip.
Lemme see if I can explain it using your rock metaphor: the OP is asking whether there's any difference in how hard it is to move 8 10 lb rocks in one trip with a wheelbarrow, vs 10 8 lb rocks in the same wheelbarrow. And your response is that most people prefer 8 lb rocks over 10 lb rocks.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles