Old 04-17-20, 08:27 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethetown
This has been a useful thread to follow, as the owner of a 2018 Diverge and 2019 Roubaix. My Roubaix (FS 1.5) was silent for a few hundred miles before eventually developing the familiar clicking noise that my Diverge was quicker to develop. I don't really care on the Diverge, but I'm fully OCD about noise on my road bikes.

I've tried everything in this thread to silence the FS 1.5 on my Roubaix to no avail. First tried reassembling everything to torque, with grease and assembly paste in the prescribed places. Then tried the rubber o-ring route, swapping springs, more grease in the spring cylinder, then finally took it to the shop. Nothing.

Then of course I uncovered the whole FS 2.0 reverse-compatibility controversy, with half the internet believing a story from their LBS or from Specialized that it either can't be fit at all (clearly not true) or that it's only "cosmetically" compatible but will surely explode eventually. I read one case where someone thinks they received a 2.0 by accident and the LBS did the work and seems okay with it and no issues so far, and another where someone went through many 1.5s before finally getting a 2.0 and enjoying a silent ride. Hope...

So, to the LBS I went, asking them to order a FS 2.0 and expecting to get runaround or some compatibility story. To my surprise, they were glad to request one, and Specialized was more or less happy to send one. The caveat: it voids the warranty and sets you back $617. Ouch. Using the justification that I'm already near the 500 hour service interval anyways, I decided to go for it in hopes of taking care of the noise issue.

I'll make sure to give an update after the install and first few rides.
Please do let us know how it turns out. I was one of the ones that got the runaround from my LBS, who said Specialized said it wasn't possible to change from a 1.5 to a 2.0. Someone on here mentioned they thought Specialized would eventually change their tune about it when the parts became more plentiful. Maybe that's what has happened.