Old 09-13-22, 10:39 PM
akropilot

Bikes: NeilPryde BURA SL, '86 Colnago Super, '08 Scott Addict, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, TrueTemper CC custom road, 1960 Hercules cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
New cable stops, on True Temper S3 frameset

Hi, I'm going to be stripping, repainting, rebuilding a frameset based on TrueTemper S3 steel. It currently has downtube shifter bosses, but I'll be switching to a modern brifter setup. I see 2 options: 1) Just installing the Shimano SP18T cable stop adapters over the shifter bosses (easy and simple), 2) Removing the shifter bosses (grind it, file it, emery cloth it) and installing new cable stops either on the head-tube or further up the downtube (using these for example).

The latter approach is cleaner in terms of looks and cabling, and now's the time to do it while the paint is stripped. I'd have the option of drilling the frame to take the screw (or pop rivet), or finding someone to silver-solder it on.
Am I creating more headache than it's worth?
Would anyone venture to guess the cost of someone silver-soldering cable stops to my headtube?
Is drilling an additional hole in the paper-thin S3 downtube or headtube creating a dangerous stress-riser?

I'd locate the cable stops here or on the head-tube (no this is not my frame...just an example)