View Single Post
Old 12-06-21, 07:42 AM
classic carl
Old newbie

Bikes: 2022 Trek Emonda SL 5, 2002 Klein Quantum, 2000 Trek 8000, 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 22 Posts
We've been wintering in Florida for 3 years now. We're leaving this Friday. My wife went by herself the first time for 5 weeks in the fall to work on the condo we bought the previous spring. She took our mountain bikes with her in the back of the SUV. Her bike is still there. We went back down the following January and I rode the MTB for 3 months, but brought it back home with me. Last year, I took a Trek hybrid with me to ride and I left it there. This year, I'm taking my old road bike with me and plan to sell the hybrid when I get to Florida. I'm not leaving my Klein there though. It will get ridden occasionally next summer when I'm not riding my new Trek Emonda.

Each bike I've hauled down there will fit upright in my small Hyundai Tucson. I just need to remove the front wheel and seatpost. I drive from Erie, PA to Lorton, VA and we take the Autotrain from there to Sanford, FL. The train ride is overnight, so it eliminates about 10 plus hours of driving time. It's about 6 hours from Erie to the VA train station, and about 2.5 hours from the FL station to our condo.

As far as the weather, I usually ride in the morning to beat the heat. Some mornings, it's in the low 60s when I start, but usually in the mid 70s by the time I finish. I'm a couple of hours northwest of Lauderdale, so it might be a few degrees warmer down there. It almost never rains in Florida during the winter where we are. If it does rain, it's usually a quick shower or storm and an hour later, the roads are dry.

Last edited by classic carl; 12-06-21 at 07:49 AM.