black02em2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Do the bearings have retainers?
Backwards?
We typically toss retainers and use 11 balls and grease to hold them in place.
Exactly that, they have retainers. I tossed them and ordered some 1/4" loose balls which I will try instead.
Originally Posted by rhenning
Did you replace the spindle with a different one? You may have put a long one in a frame designed for a short one. Roger
The bike is new to me and I am overhauling it now. I just removed the spindle and repacked.
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Did you possibly put the spindle in backward, they are not always symmetrical. There should be some printing on the spindle and it would orientate as if you were looking at it from the bicycle seat.

Another possibility is the cage for the bearings is not perfectly round or the cage is hanging on an edge so they are not properly seated taking up additional space. Use plenty of sticky grease to make sure they stay in place while assembling it. make sure the "ball" side of the cage is facing the cups (facing outwards). Your situation almost sounds like the bearings are not seated into the fixed cup side.

This video covers most of the points
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMSZ8Z8i-KY
I think you are right. I tried the spindle both ways. From what I've read, the writing on the spindle should be able to be read from non-drive side to drive side. Looking from back of the bike towards the front, longer side on the Drive-side. I have a feeling it could be the bearings not seating properly and the cages taking too much room. I've ordered 1/4" loose balls to replace them.
Originally Posted by Iride01
You didn't change anything? Only cleaned, greased and attempted to reassemble, right? Have you ever done this before or is this a first?

edit... are you sure you didn't just put the caged bearings in backwards?
Yes, just overhauling. I tried the cages both directions with pretty much the same result. I have a feeling they aren't seated correctly.
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
It just looks like you haven't fully seated the spindle through the cup seals. It might be because the bearing cage has caught on the edge of the cup. Your flats will never be that close to the outside of the cups. Did you put the bearings on the spindle first?

When I do this work, I prefer to take my bearings, loose or caged, and tuck them into a nice cozy bed of grease in the cup, not on the spindle. Then I install the fixed cup and push the DS of the spindle through without nudging the bearings as best as I can. They don't have to be perfect because the spindle race will push them into the proper position. Slide that adjustable cup over the NDS spindle and lock it into place
Thanks for the advice, it's probably a mix of the bearings not seated in the cups as well as spindle not seated all the way through the seals.

I've ordered 1/4" loose balls which I think will help and I'll follow your steps. Thanks!