Old 10-19-20, 09:05 AM
black02em2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
My earlier advice seems to have been washed over, but I'm telling you, I was totally convinced I had the wrong bb, the wrong thread pattern, and the wrong technique until I backed it off about thirty times and finally, FINALLY caught the threads.
I can see how this would happen, but I don't seem to be having this issue. I took out the spindle and re-installed both cups without any issue and smoothly. So I believe the threads are fine and there is nothing in the tubing thats interfering in the way.
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
You're suggesting the OP has the adjustable cup cross-threaded? If so, look at the fourth photo in the OP. And it looks like the lock ring is parallel to the shell face in those photos.
Agreed, not cross threaded. Without the spindle in, I was able to screw in both cups smoothly with ease.
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
One good whack has never failed me. Eventually the wrench will get too "stretched", but $/fixed cup removed, I'll consider it a consumable.
A large fender washer could be used instead of the block of wood. A large socket could be used instead of my BB tool.
I used what was expedient.

What's the block of wood for? In the event then wrench is now too wide?
Originally Posted by woodcraft
What about accepting that that is as far as it should screw in?
You may be right, it was my fault for not taking pictures of what it looked like before hand. For all I know, its screwed in as much as it should be.

My main point of reference is the bottom bracket/crankset on my Campagnolo Nuovo Record setup on my other bike. Both the fixed and adjustable cups sit flush against the shell, and the crank arms sit very close as well on the spindle.
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I would not. As long as no parts have been changed from the original setup the cup should screw all the way in.

At this point I'd suspect that one of the balls has come out of place somehow, particularly since the OP has switched to all loose balls. Either that or one side of the bottom bracket has too many balls.

IMO, it's best to take everything apart and start over from square one. Take both cups out, clean out the bearings and grease, and dry-fit everything without installing the parts in the BB shell. Back when I was working in a shop (early '80's) this showed where I had goofed.
Thanks for the great advice. I took everything back apart, counted the loose balls (11 each side), ensured they were sitting in the race, packed with more grease and re-assembled. Very very finicky adjustable cup. It's in slightly more, and took a lot of adjustment put the arms on/off a few times before I could remove the play and not have the feeling of them grinding.

Still a pinch of noise but I can live with that. I'll finish the build and ride it a few KM's to see how it is. Worst case, I disassemble again, clean and pack with different grease OR look for a sealed cartridge BB.

Last edited by black02em2; 10-19-20 at 09:10 AM.