BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
BlueDevil63 While checking, I thought of something. Your nutted back brake will work as a recessed front. You just need the nut (easy to come by). That means all you really need is a recessed rear center bolt. I think I can help you out there. Here's a recessed rear Superbe:

and a recessed front:

and a recessed set of Galli calipers (whose center bolts will work, I think - yet to confirm 100% though):

If this stuff works for you, I'd be happy to swap center bolts. I have a recessed nut for your back-nutted-to-front-recessed caliper as well.

Finally, as an aside, note the not terribly good looking chrome on the spring carriers in the first two pix. In my experience, SunTour's chrome was second-to-none... except when it came to the spring carriers and springs on their brakes. I'm not sure why that should be. Different steel alloys perhaps?
Sorry it took so long to respond to this. I am putting the 3Rensho project on hold. Turns out the frame has a lot of rust and there is some question as to whether I can restore it or not. And then I am still not sure whether I want a period correct DA, Superbe or Campy group on it, but I better wait to see if I can even salvage the frame. I did try out what you suggested and indeed the rear brake will work on the front fine as a recessed nut attachment.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso