View Single Post
Old 04-13-22, 04:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin
Interestingly, he doesn't mention the challenge of transportation. Even if you're not flying the airlines, getting a trike in a regular car would be a challenge and bike racks don't help. Even with some folding features, it seems like you'd need a van, suv or a crossover with a fairly large cargo area and it would probably be best to have a pickup truck. Even then, transporting two or more trikes becomes a challenge. I've frequently traveled with four bikes on a bike rack or in a pickup truck bed. I don't think I could carry four trikes without a big truck or trailer. I do think about involving more of my family in touring, and that's another reason I'm avoiding trikes for now.
The guy I know that bought a trike a couple years ago, he is 85, he was losing his ability to balance a bike and crashed a couple times the summer before he bought the trike, both crashes were balance related.

He has a mini van. When we ride, I help him load it into the minivan, at home he built some form of ramp to use. At his age he has trouble riding more than 20 miles, 95 percent of his distance ridden is on bike paths.