View Single Post
Old 08-15-19, 05:17 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
And, like some other tools cited... discontinued. And rather heavy. Especially for someone who does not do multi-day touring.

8mm Campy brake/derailleur cable bolts? Don't some Japanese derailleurs use 9mm? Perhaps if a cable slipped I could reattach, but I don't carry spare cables.

Anyway, (a) I bookmarked the Park MT-1 (better get it before THAT is discontinued too!), and (b) I presume no one has converted hex bolts on C&V bikes to Allen Key (was hoping someone had diameter/thread/length specs, and a source). Not a big deal but I might drag a few derailleurs and calipers to Home Depot one day, just to check sizes and then think about sourcing.
HD will be a dead end, I have had almost 0 luck even with common threaded stuff, nevermind they are always out of half of what might help you. Even the go to hardware stores that used to always rock and have something that would work and usually very close are very lackluster nowadays with a cookie cutter stocking that is usually of little help.

A while back I wanted some much longer 2 bolt Campy SP bolts, the guy at the best oldschool store we have initially laughed out loud, then said "let me make a call" the other guy had a good laugh too.

McMaster Carr is the solve for this but not cheap and you have to know exactly what you need to get it right.