Old 09-10-21, 11:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Not deliberately but I know it happens under duress.

I know from fast group rides on roller coaster terrain on windy days or in noisy traffic that I can't always hear the sound of cross-chaining, and have inadvertently shifted into the big/big combo when sprinting and closing gaps. So I always err on the side of caution with chains and leave them a link or two longer than some cyclists might. If I'm worried about chain slap damaging the chainstay I'll put on some frame protector tape.

Riding solo it would be unusual for me to shift into the big/big combo. I'm rarely in a big rush, and can hear the distinctive sound of cross chaining. But in a fast group ride and loud ambient noise, yeah, it can happen.

Even cyclists who claim they never use the big/big combo will suddenly claim "product defect!" when they accidentally shift into the big/big combo with a chain that's too short, and it rips off the rear derailleur, maybe damages the spokes and frame. Seen it a couple of times with cyclists who swore they didn't shift into the big/big combo, and claimed the derailleur was faulty, etc.
Likes For canklecat: