View Single Post
Old 01-21-22, 09:38 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Not much more to add to this thread on the alloy vs carbon debate. But I will add that rim depth will play a role in how compliant and/or comfortable the carbon wheels are. The Zipp 303s is a 45mm deep wheel. All that extra material makes for a stiffer, less compliant, wheel.

I too am a bigger guy, ride weight 225 lbs, I had a set of the Roval CL50 50mm deep wheels that were incredibly stiff, perfect for road riding with my heavy weight. Get them off road and the ride was terrible. I'm currently running the Roval C38 wheels and I can feel the improved ride comfort with the shallower rim.

My next set of gravel wheels will probably be the Reserve 22 with the DT 350 hubs. The 22mm rim depth, and 22mm internal width makes them a nice comfortable gravel wheel. At $1600 msrp they aren't cheap but they do come with a lifetime warranty and have no listed max rider weight. Ymmv.
Well said. If you do go carbon, the Reynolds are ATRs are great, have some give for gravel compliance and unlimited weight rating also.