View Single Post
Old 08-04-22, 09:24 PM
MPStoops

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
I, too, have an older road bike that I just love, but the group set was getting a bit old. Yep, I'm still riding the Scapin Columbus EL-OS frameset that I raced back in the '90s!! It had the same 8 speed Campy Chorus grouppo on it from back then, along with the Campagnolo Zonda deep dish wheels. I debated long and hard about getting a new bike, but since I'm not racing any more and I love the way this frame fits and feels, I decided to look into a full Campy upgrade. I ended up with the following from ProBikeKit from the UK: A Campy Centaur 11 speed Ergo-Power shift set, Centaur 11 speed cassette, Centaur front derailleur, and Campy Zonda C17 wheelset. I kept my existing Chorus BB, cranks and brakes because, well, they work just fine. The installation was a piece of cake as the dropout width is the same for both setups and I ended up knocking over a pound off the weight of the bike (mostly due to the different wheels). The bike was transformed! I'm loving it all over again, and the entire upgrade was $750 with free expedited shipping to the US. I'm in California and I got it all in 4 days from the UK. Amazing!!! To find a new bike with a Campy gruppo would have run me several times that price. Sure, I would have had some other newer components etc etc, but I'm completely happy with this frame as is so why spend another $2000? If I had your Merlin, I'd do it all over again.
Likes For MPStoops: