View Single Post
Old 09-23-22, 07:29 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1505:

Sometimes things work in your favor. I need to relish these moments...

Rain was predicted for this morning. I had prepared for this possibility and had my waterproof panniers ready. However, the rain was only predicted to last for a couple hours, and then be dry the rest of the day. The wind is supposed to come up and I'm going to have a stout headwind for the ride home.

I'm lazy. I don't like to make things harder for myself than necessary. Because of this, I wasn't looking forward to riding my rain bike home into that wind. I'd much prefer to fight the wind with my road bike, as that bike cuts the effort in half (at least it feels like half.)

When I got ready to leave the house, it wasn't raining. The approaching clouds didn't look too friendly, so rain was definitely on the way. I decided to risk it and threw my backpack on and took the road bike.

About 1/4 mile from home the sprinkles started. However, I was going to make a turn and start riding away from the approaching rain storm. I started cranking the pedals hard. Another 1/4 mile down the road the sprinkles stopped. Didn't feel any rain falling for the remainder of the commute.

I rode hard the whole 4.25 miles to the client location and made it there in just a bit over 15 minutes. A few minutes after I arrived the rain storm hit. YES! Mission accomplished.