Old 09-25-22, 11:40 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Next time I saw her, that same frame was completely covered in duct tape. That beautiful purple had taken on a Mad Max quality. Asked her about this, response: "Best way to not get stolen."

Fast forward to now. When I'm asked for recommendations on how to prevent theft, my answer is always the same. Lock the frame and rear wheel and take the front wheel with you. Awfully hard to ride away on a bike with one wheel unless you happen to be carrying a spare, which most thieves don't.
I can rock the Mad Max aesthetic.

As for wheels, wherever bikes are parked, there's always a compatible wheel that's nearby and easy to steal. Locking the front-wheel (either remove it and lock it with the frame and rear-wheel, or use a cable) can keep it safe, but just taking it with you is typically more inconvenience to you than a bike thief.

At a minimum, I've always got a U-lock through the rear-wheel and rear-triangle. No QR skewers on my commuter bikes. Depending on where/when the bike is locked up, I'll also run a cable through the front wheel, secured at one end with the U-lock, and ideally secured at the other end to something solid. Sometimes I'll use use the U-lock as described, and also a chain around the front-wheel and front-triangle.

With my older 3x9 bike, that's plenty to deter theft. Once upon a time it was a desirable bike, but back then a U-lock and cable was plenty to keep it secure; adding a chain was me being paranoid. With a newer and more desirable bike, I want it to not be obvious that it's a newer and more desirable bike.

People don't covet what they can't see. In a way, the question is about how to hide a nice bike in plain sight… And also lock it up properly.