Old 09-27-22, 02:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Here in the real world where I live, there's only two protected bike lanes in town. One of them has 17 driveways and cross streets in three blocks. Cyclists have stop signs at every driveway, and even with green paint, most drivers don't bother checking the bike lane before making a turn.
Seriously? Under what circumstances would this Ever be a good place to ride a bike?

I don't have @rsbob's litany of research (science is fake anyway .... and so are birds) but I know that the easiest way to get flattened in urban/dense shopping district roadway is idiots looking through bikes when pulling out of driveways ... lots of places where there is no choice but to ride past endless strip malls, and roadside businesses, and every driveway is a potentially lethal challenge ... I have had a couple of ridiculously close avoidances (like sub-four inches) when idiots looked right through me and pulled out .... and with traffic going both ways, sometimes in multiple lanes (and with my favorite, the bi-directional turn-lane) and there is No way to include Safe bike lanes in those areas.

IMO.
Likes For Maelochs: