Old 12-17-22, 08:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would get the bike to the original owner and I would talk with the person who sold the stolen bike to you and see if you can get your money back. If they decide to not give you your money back then I would involve the police. If they do give you the money back I would explain to them not to buy and sell stolen bikes and to be careful and if not I would put them on blast. Put their picture out there on the same places you found the stolen bikes. Bike thieves need to be stopped even if they are the person in the middle. They are still involved in the cycle and an important part as they insulating the actual thieves.
This is a job for the police. I would start by contacting Bike Index to verify that it is actually stolen and then follow their advice. They must have a procedure for this scenario as it is their business. Getting your money back could be difficult depending on how you bought it and the seller. It's usually not a good idea to go directly demanding a refund from a potential criminal unless you personally know the guy and their circumstances. Like say if you bought it from a friend who you knew had previously bought the bike in good faith. Or you bought it from a reputable bike shop. But if the seller was a stranger I would leave it to the police to deal with and take legal advice about potentially recovering the money from them.