View Single Post
Old 04-28-08, 07:17 PM
JRA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used this question as a chance to experiment with the NHTSA's resource guide that I downloaded a couple of weeks ago. It covers bicycle and pedestrian laws and can be downloaded as a self-extracting zip file that creates a compiled HTML help file (it's - also available on CD). It's kind of a pain to use.

I searched for the following words: construction, work, flagman, flagger, flagperson.

I found no mention of bicycles not being allowed in construction zones.

The section of the Uniform Vehicle code that applies is:

UVC § 11- 103(a) Obedience to authorized persons directing traffic
No person shall willfully fail or refuse to comply with any lawful order or direction of any police officer, firefighter, flagger at highway construction or maintenance site, or uniformed adult school crossing guard invested by law with authority to direct, control or regulate traffic.

Utah has an equivalent law.

Most other states have variations. Some omit the word "willfully." Most make other changes.

Alaska and Wyoming use the term "authorized flagman" instead of "flagger."

New York uses the word "flagperson."

Pennsylvania uses the words "any appropriately attired person." Is that vague enough?

There is no mention of a flagger, flagman or flagperson in the corresponding laws of the following states:
Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Vermont, Wisconsin,

No similar law was located for Maine, Missouri, Ohio or South Carolina.

California has #21367 "Restricting use [restricting use of and regulating traffic through and around work areas]" which probably applies.

Florida, Kentucky, Oregon, Washington and West Virgina have other laws which also probably apply but I didn't read those laws in their entirety.

Last edited by JRA; 04-28-08 at 07:30 PM.