View Single Post
Old 06-06-09, 09:39 PM
nauboone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike fit for long legs and short torso.

Today I realized I have a problem with bike fit.

I want to buy a new "road sport" type bike. This is like a road bike with a more relaxed geometry. I want to use it for local century rides and light touring. I don't ride that fast and I'm not interested in racing. So comfort is a higher priority than speed. It's hilly where I live (SF bay area).

My research thus far has led me to the following frames (I'm leaning towards steel):
1. Soma Smoothie ES
2. Surly Pacer
3. Salsa Casseroll
4. Bianchi Vigorelli
5. Ritchey Breakaway

I've test ridden the Soma Smoothies ES and the Ritchey Breakaway, both 58 cm size. I'm 5'11" with a 32 in inseam. 150 lbs. Every time I test ride a bike the mechanic makes a guess of how high the saddle should be and it's always waaaaay too low. Now I just carry an allen key with me to raise it about 2 - 3 inches. The top tubes on both of the above-mentioned bikes feels like they're at the right height. But the handlebars feel waaaaaay too far out in front. Ok, maybe 2 to 3 inches too far. These test-ride bikes always have drop handlebars and 110 mm stems.

So it seems I have extra long legs and a short torso for my height. So who makes a bike for me? Any recommendations?

Might another style of bicycle than "road sport" work for me? Maybe road racing?

Thanks.