Old 11-08-21, 11:44 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Inadvertently started intermittent fasting

I seem to have stumbled on a dieting regimen, unintentionally.

In the spring, I stopped eating breakfast except for days (mostly weekends) when I go for morning bike rides. I did this as part of my continued efforts to get my carb intake and blood sugar under control. I usually eat dry (healthy) cereal and skim milk, and at first considered switching to something else - e.g., yogurt, but I thought, "why eat something that doesn't appeal to me - I'll just stick to my coffee in the morning". I shifted my lunch time to a little earlier (11 AM), and it was fine. And within a few months I lost about 5 pounds.

More recently, I was seeing an Ear Nose and Throat doc b/c I have persistent issues with a sore throat. After an exam, he concluded that its acid reflux. He gave me a script for a strong proton pump inhibitor (basically extra-strength Nexium, I believe), but I don't like taking drugs if I don't have to. Also, in part because I eat small meals (see above about efforts regarding blood sugar), I tend to snack through the afternoon and evening. So I figure I would try, without drugs, simply not eating for the ~3 hours before sleep. If after a few months the symptoms don't improve, I'll consider taking the antacid.

A few weeks into this (too early to say if it's going to affect my throat), I'm now eating only between 11 AM and 9 PM . Today it occurred to me to find out if this is "a thing". And of course, it is - it's otherwise known as a 14/10 intermittent fast. It feels fine. I'm not making up for the restriction by eating more during the intervening hours, AFAIK. It's also too early to know if it will affect my weight.

In my reading today it seems as though the 16/8 fast gets more virtual ink. I don't know if one is more effective than the other.

I didn't start this as a weight loss plan. My BMI now is between 22.2 and 22.5. But if I shed another 5-10 lbs, I certainly won't mind.