Thread: 2022 Randonnees
View Single Post
Old 03-06-22, 01:20 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Oregon Randonneurs Grab Bag 300k in the books. After a week of rain, the forecast was for 0% chance of rain, 34F at the start, high 58, mostly cloudy, and light winds. Since it's the PNW, and March, I packed my rain jacket and wore my rain legs anyway. Both can double for additional warmth anyway. I wore my new merino wool baselayer, mid-weight wool OR jersey, SIR windbreaker, full-length tights, wool socks and and shoe covers, and cycling shorts. I wore warm gloves, and carried my wool glove liners. The only extra clothing I carried was the rain jacket, and another pair of socks. The ride was 3 loops, returning to the start town at 100k and 200k. I had more clothes in the car, but we never ended up stopping there. The day turned out sunnier than forecast, so I ended up stowing the jacket and switching to glove liners. My riding buddy had put together an aggressive (for me) ride plan with 5 stops, with one long stop at Chipotle's at around 145 miles. The first 45 mile segment was pretty flat with rolling hills. We stayed with the lead group of about a dozen riders this whole segment, getting to McD's in Sherwood just on schedule. Everyone else went on, which was fun with us. The group pace was a bit erratic, not really to our liking.

Our ride plan had arrive/depart times for every stop. We left McDs on time, and from there the climbing started pretty quickly. From 46-55 miles we climbed from 200 feet to 1200 feet. This was the only sizeable climb of the route; the rest was flat or rolling. From the peak we bombed back down to the start town (Newberg), passing straight through and continuing to our 2nd stop, a quick grab and go at mile 70. Lafayette. Somewhere around here we picked up a couple SIR guys who'd split from the lead group. The four of us rode together the next few hours, though I would drop off the back on the rolling climbs.

Our next segment was 45 miles again, for a 20 minute stop at the small market in Dayton. Per plan, we ordered our Chipotle's burrito's from Dayton, scheduled to be ready a bit before our planned 4:45 ETA. We left Dayton a few minutes late due to difficulties with the Chipotle's ordering system. I guess we'd been dropped by the SIR guys by now; truth be told, I was dropped and my buddy waited for me. So about the Chipotle's. After finally getting the order done, my bud calls his wife and tells her there are a couple burritos at their neighborhood Chipotle's, paid for, if she cared to grab them for dinner.. LOL.

Dayton to Chipotle's was flat and uneventful aside from a fender rattle that my bike developed. We never figured out the source; it was super annoying, so I'll have to get that sorted out. I haven't mentioned the drafting. So my bud's plan was, basically, I'd draft him to keep our schedule. I'd say 90% of my rando miles over the last 13 years have been solo, and I generally eschew drafting. I figured I'd hang on as long as I felt like it, then bail. Well I drafted shamelessly all day. I took a few pulls here and there, including one stretch when he wasn't feeling great. But it went pretty much went according to his plan.

Chipotle's was about a half-mile off-route, but well worth it. Nice stop, a chance to use a nice restroom, put our reflective gear on, and chill for a few minutes. Chipotle's to the last stop was about 30 uneventful and relatively flat low-traffic miles. Really pretty sunset, then miles of fading sunlight. A nice segment, aside from an increasingly unhappy butt. We arrived at Gervais about 10 minutes late and left the same. It was another grab-and-go, getting a gallon of water and a quick bite to eat outside.

The last segment was just 17 miles, totally dark now, and 14 of those on empty roads. Really nice riding. We stopped once for a bio break, and noticed the stars were spectacular. Then the last 3 miles. I'd pretty much been dreading that segment when I first saw this route. There's a 2 mile segment on a 55mph state highway, on a long bridge over the Willamette River, with a few pinch points where the narrow shoulder reduces to almost nothing. Plus it's a slight uphill. I've ridden this several times on 200k routes, and I hate it. One year I had flat here, and had to fix it on a 24" shoulder. Aside from the pinch points and narrow shoulder on the bridge, there's a bit where the one-lane widens to have a passing lane, and again the shoulder shrinks to almost nothing. Fortunately traffic was lighter than on the various 200k's I've done, so it was less stressful than I expected. Unfortunately, there are not many bridges over the Willamette. Once we hit the Newberg city limit I was done, but it was another mile or so to the car. We finished 6 minutes ahead of his plan, having made up time in that last 17 mile segment.

Already, memories of the painful butt are receding. Randonesia is real.
Update. The rattle was the seatstay bridge fender bolt. I'd replaced that recently, going from an L-bracket bolted horizontally through the bridge to a bolt going up vertically into the bridge. Looks much cleaner. The bolt had worked loose just enough to rattle on rough roads.