Old 05-13-22, 08:37 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
Cool set-up but how do you keep the metal cages from digging into the tops of your leather shoes?
Before I moved to SPD system, I used my leather cycling shoes with cages and the tops were soon shredded.
Are you talking about the instep or on the top of the toebox? If it's the latter, the toebox should not be touching the toe clip. With the cleat properly positioned so that the ball of the foot is over the pedal spindle, there should be a small gap between the toebox and the toe clip. If not, you need a longer toe clip or to add washers between the pedal and toe clip mounting bracket. The toe clip is only to hold the strap open, to facilitate shoe entry and removal, and to hold the strap's position on the instep. The toe clip should not touch the shoe at any point other than in the immediate vicinity of the strap loop.

If you're talikng about the strap mounting loop on the instep, then the cleats should hold the shoes in a stable enough position that there should little, if any, movement between the shoe and toe clip. However, shoe damage in this are can reduced by fabricating a buffer between the shoe and toe clip. Cut a couple of slits in it, so that the toe strap can be fed through it, to hold it in place. You can use leatrher or any other suitable material. I made mine from old, thin, foam insoles. They may also ease some discomfort.

Likes For T-Mar: