Old 05-29-22, 05:38 PM
Blues

Bikes: Some vintage and all projects. Geezer road, road, cruise, some gravel, not much mountain.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Galoot, I've been dealing with your same issues. My best solution is bigger tires with less air and a shorter distance from my sit bones to my bar grips. The 1977 Nishiki International in the photo has a tall and short reach [I think 40 mm] stem. That gets my back and arm angles to about 45 degrees from level. It has Conti. Ultra Sport 1-1/4" tires with tubes and I run them at 38# in the front and 58# in the rear carrying 215# total. They give me a relative vibration free ride on my chip-seal roads. I do not have pot holes where I normally ride so I get by with the low pressures. I have also discovered that utilizing my core more takes weight off my hands which helps also. I seldom get into the drops and haven't taped them up.

I also have 1982 Shogan single speed steel bike with the thread-less stem converter and Redshift Kitchen Sink bars. They give a little more height and back sweep. I Installed ReneHerseCycles.com Snoqualmie Pass extra lignt 700cx44mm w/ Conti Cross Tubes 32/47-622 which I run at 30# front and 40# rear.

This bike gives a very smooth ride. No vibration means happy wrists.