bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Well they definitely work!

I got NEW Fulcrum Racing 5s to replace the OLD Fulcrum Racing 5s, for cheap from PBK. The new ones have wider rims (17 vs 15), so when I wear out the 25mm Grand Prix's I swapped off the old rims, I'mma get some 28s. I had to adjust the front brake cable to fit the wider rims. I also got a new cassette. I put on the rear wheel and was fiddling with the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur, and discovered that the dang thing was broken!!! Luckily, I had the Centaur rear derailleur I replaced with a Veloce medium cage on the Battaglin, so I swapped THAT in. Then the drivetrain sounded a little noisy, so despite the chain not being THAT old, I put a new chain on.

So, first observation is that, between 2006 and 2020, Fulcrum replaced the "Swarm Of Angry Bees" freewheel with something damn near SILENT!!! No more rolling up on slower riders and announcing my presence with the ridiculously loud buzzing of my freewheel! Mrs. GeneJockey suggested I get a bell....

I was planning a quick 16 miles but ended up going more like 26, because the smoke had blown out and I had the legs for it - or at least I had the legs to get to the turnaround point!

I love success stories.
Likes For bampilot06: