Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by groth
Most of my miles are on an upright two wheeler, but I have had a Greenspeed Tandem Trike since 2005. It's named "Big Red." I got it in hopes of getting my wife some exercise. She had severe osteoporosis and was using a walker. I had thought of an upright tandem, but she correctly pointed out that one fall and she would be a pile of broken bones. When one of our friends got a recumbent trike and she saw a photo, she thought she could do that. So we did. She never really rode it very much. On the other hand, I've had "guest stokers," and taken it on "real rides." It's been around Keuka Lake, NY (42 miles) perhaps 6 times, the Lancaster, PA bicycle club metric century, the NYC Five Borough Ride (42 miles) and I've taken it out for a few solo rides of 30-40 miles locally. In 2013, we helped long time friends from Belmont, NY celebrate their 70th birthdays over the July 4th weekend. We took Big Red, decked it out patriotically and rode it in the Belmont July 4th parade. We were going to ride it in the local Memorial Day parade in 2014, but my wife's health was declining and she died in 2015. Since then, I've met and become very good friends with an avid cyclist and Big Red has been making appearances in the Hopewell, NJ Memorial Day Parade and the Titusville, NJ July 4th Parade. Each of those is roughly a 20 mile round trip for about a mile of parade riding. The photo is of Candace, Big Red and me on Memorial Day, 2020 in Hopewell.

Her is a link to a description of the trike, its assembly, and some enhancements and modifications.

- Ed
Hi Ed, thanks for the narrative and my condolences. Big Red sure has a lot of stories to tell!