Old 07-23-12, 08:52 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roborovski007
Started road cycling a few months back, been training about 1 hour a day for everyday with a day off a week. Just signed up for an upcoming century and will be my first one this coming september, cyclist whoever completes below 8 hours will receive a medal. Need training guide from you guys out there that can improve my cycling hopefully to complete it with lesser time. Maybe 5 or 6 ?
Five or six what? Hours? A five hour century is an accomplishment that not many people achieve. Few of them achieved it on one hour a day training for just a few months, is my guess. You need to get longer rides into your schedule. However fit you are, riding one hour per day is not going to accustom you to being on your bike for the extended period that is necessary. As a minimum I'd suggest working up to one four-hour ride per week before the date of the event.

That doesn't mean you need to do much more training than you are doing now, necessarily - six or seven hours a week might be enough, but they need to be split into a couple of shorter, more intense rides and one long, steady one.

Plus, how much climbing is involved? If the answer is a lot, you need to be getting used to doing plenty of sustained efforts in the hills.

Forget about five or six hours. Read the thread, take the advice, and concentrate on finishing in reasonable comfort.