View Single Post
Old 05-23-21, 08:08 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Tadpole trikes generally don't come with brakes on the rear wheel with the exception when used as a parking brake. I've seen the subject discussed on Bentrideronline where the reason was given - potential loss of control, If you apply a brake to the rear wheel it can cause the trike to go into an uncontrolled skid with the rear of the trike pivoting to the side. It might seem like a good idea to have brakes on all three wheels but it is not. Maybe you can get it to work but I would be very wary of adding a rear brake to my CT700, especially using it on wet pavement. I've never had a problem not keeping the trike under control even on the steepest hills I encounter.

When you opened the section on rear brakes at the UT website you should have read the disclaimer at the top of the page

Most of the trike manufacturers have something against putting a rear brake on a tadpole trike. There is something to that though since during hard braking the rider weight gets shifted to the front of the trike and it's easy to lock up the rear. Nothing beats a rear brake for scrubbing speed off down a hill though. Many trikes already have the mounts for a brisken on the rear for "parking brake" purposes.