View Single Post
Old 08-30-21, 11:43 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Thin wall tires (e.g. Rene Herse) tend to remove all the little bumps and vibrations more so than thicker wall tires, and bigger bump smoothing mostly comes down to tire volume. To me, the thin-wall small bump smoothing is a relatively minor increase in comfort, but it might be significant to someone with CTS.
That's useful information, thanks. A better tire is obviously likely to be a smoother ride but, I suppose, the question should really be "does a better tire provide an appreciably smoother ride".

One of the interventions currently in play is a Redshift Shockstopper stem. I suspect that dampening will overshadow some of the other possible interventions but it's difficult to know with certainty how that will play out. I definitely want to exploit anything that one might consider low hanging fruit which is why I'm exploring larger tires and lower air pressure. If the "bang for buck" on thin wall tires in this combination would be minimal, than I may leave that option on the table for now. The Luganos are not high end tires but, at the same time, they are slicks with only nominal puncture guard. It's not like they are Schwalbe Marathon's or anything.