Old 11-19-21, 07:01 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
the brakes that came with the bike were a step below deore calipers. when we went off-road you could not come close to locking the rear up even going 10mph or less . I found you cant use much front brake when going off road or the front will slide out while turning. we have several 20% grades we go down. in that case to stop my wife had to use the v brake. Now I want her only using it so I don't overhear the back disc. I can stop just fine without it. she only brakes when I tell her to and how much I tell her and its never been an issue. it has not caused control issues. I don't rely on her using the v brake to stop us in an emergency she uses it so I can let the other brakes cool. neither one of us wants to go faster and often the roads are posted only 25 we are in the city for the most part.
this is a sample of one of the hills no way the old brakes would keep the speed we need on this hill with a road crossing right at the bottom. . seldom do we have a clear road with no cross streets. the v brake only has about 1/2 the stopping power of the disc but it actually does pretty well. I think she does very well with it and it has never caused me to loose control or even have any issues at all. its just a tool for us. she only uses her brake on long descents.