View Single Post
Old 01-04-22, 09:34 AM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
1. Check the alignment of the rear derailer hanger.
2. You mentioned changing the derailer, cassette, and rings. Is the derailer appropriately sized for the cassette? This is only normally an issue in the largest rear sprockets, but is worth asking.
Yes, one of the mechanics mentioned bent/misaligned derailer issue and presumably corrected for this. I am not sure it is not appropriately sized but skip-gear issues appear before the largest sproket. It is SRAM derailer but I want to believe the mechanic who replaced it knew what he was doing - he is specializing in tandem.

Originally Posted by jccaclimber
3. I didn't hear mention of a chain, have the chains been replaced at some point in this process? Was 9sp chain used? If it's a SRAM chain it probably has a model number stamped on a portion of the outer links. Mine for example is a 951, and it's on the end of some of the links past the rivet.
4. I'm assuming the cables and housing are in decent condition, clean square ends, etc. If not, that's another easy fix. Some pictures may help us here.
Yes, the chain was swiped when the derailer broke. Changed the chain again recently. Yes, 9spd - KMC X9.93