Old 01-09-22, 09:20 AM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
RADIOS 16 headlight LED conversion

After posting my Moto-Gugie 650b conversion, several people wrote suggesting I convert the vintage RADIOS 16 headlight to LED. I have used LED bulbs in vintage head and tail lights, and they are bright, but the LED bulb in a vintage headlight, doesn't have a reflector that works properly. Bright light goes everywhere, and not towards the road where one needs it. Folks mentioned using Busch & Muller headlights, which look to be excellent quality. However, I was hesitant to spend a lot of money to hack it apart not knowing if I could put it all together and make it work. After some shopping around I bought a Herrmans 100 lumens headlight, which was about half the price. The Herrmans housing is all plastic and I was able to disassemble the whole thing. I spent a lot of time with different sanding drums on a dremel tool and what I thought would be a quick conversion turned into a 4 hour event.... I was able to do the conversion without modifying the RADIOS 16 headlamp and can return it to original configuration. From the exterior, the only addition is the ground wire, which I attached to the headlight mounting bolt and added a plug so I can disconnect the headlight from the bike if necessary. With winter conditions here in Durango, I won't be able to test for a month or two, and it remains to be seen if the Herrmans internals will be durable.