Old 01-10-22, 08:00 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
What I have found is that RBAs are getting worse at making accurate cue sheets. Find out if the route designer rides with a GPS. Especially on something like a 1200k.
In our defense, one of the things the GPS era has encouraged is taking the nicest routing, even if it's harder to cue. Gone, at least in my region, are the days of "follow signs for route 62 for next 20 miles". That doesn't excuse not checking the cue sheet, but I've had route design choices where ease of cueing l was something I either took into account or actively rejected in favor of the nicest roads.

(Example: a 200k I developed as an overnight; a rider at the finish asked why I stayed on a larger road rather than taking a well-liked parallel road through there. Because the left turn onto the pretty road had no sign, was hidden by trees, and the intersection where it rejoined the big road was nigh-impossible to describe. Plus, people would be coming through in the middle of the night when the "big" road is very quiet anyway. I made exactly the opposite choice in the same location on a 100k intended for daytime, with a confirming "you should see a school on your left" cue right after that section because it was so hard to cue.)