Old 01-27-22, 07:23 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jlippinbike
It's one thing to ride a 600k brevet that you are not really up to completing. That's overstretching. But what about riding a 200k brevet each day for 12 consecutive days? I'd say most will agree that that is overtraining. Will it cause the rider to fall into OTS. I doubt it. But riding 12x200k in 12 days will give you and overdose of oxidative stress I bet. Some oxidative stress is good. In fact, it's great. It's the way the body works. But too much of a good thing is usually bad. And an overdoes of oxidative stress. Is not good.
Interesting thread. And wondering if any of it fits in my situation. I was 61 yo when I raced the Trans Am. 4200+ miles in a little over 28 days, with mileage days ranging from 70 (mechanical problem) to 220. In the month(s) afterwards I was notably weaker, which is no surprise. What has been concerning to me is how my body has kinda broke down since the race in June of 2019 Neck and knee surgery, Sciatic/back pain, which has been the worst. Always something. Could, and probably is, more of an age issue than anything, but maybe it goes beyond that. Just thought I would throw that out there.