View Single Post
Old 03-05-22, 06:01 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Few pictures this month, but plenty of miles! Despite a slew of flats and mechanicals, needing to mostly blow past the 'checkpoints', I still managed a great overall time on a double metric century with strength left to spare; it's funny how that works sometimes.

The story starts with an extraordinary warm front finally making its way into the area -- steady 16-17 mph winds, 60-80°F temps, and enough overcast to keep the sun at bay most of the day. Of course, with such a day, a few of the local club rider's wanted to join as well, but as it so often does, everyone's schedule brought different constraints: we decided on a 75-mile group route starting around 8:30. I left home at 7, hoping to get 15 or so miles out of the way ... I had hoped get to the café with time for a coffee, but my legs couldn't buy me enough time.

We headed off into the hills, one of the favorite routes to Wimberley, and picked up a few members of the crew along the way -- our first flat came about 1 mile into the ride, but was fixed with some dexterity. Afterwards, we enjoyed a tailwind, which gave us a boost up some of the hills and helped make up some time. Twenty miles in and we passed up any stops in Wimberley, heading further out from home. About six miles out of town, a different rider had a rear flat. Being a newer rider, we waited patiently to let them figure it out, mostly on their own, only stepping in as things went slightly awry -- it's certainly an important thing to learn to change a flat independently, rather than needing to depend on those around you! It was a nice chance for me to grab a few cheese crackers from my pocket anyhow, as I was nearing mile 40.

Aired up and rolling again, we were finally about to turn south -- into the wind. The headwind was tolerable though, as Fischer Store Road offers excellent pavement, rolling hills, and plenty of shallow curves to keep the views a-changing (while maintaining good sightlines for traffic). There was, at this point, some inventorying of tubes and patches occurring, as there were still a good few miles to go; at worst, Sattler offered a few services and a good place to arrange a sag wagon if needed. A third flat for the day -- on yet a different wheel -- would exhaust the spare inventory, and force a couple riders to the side of the road. We still had phone service, and a ride was hailed; it happens. After a bit of small talk, the remaining riders saddled up, back into the wind.

Feeling a little pressured by the clock, the pace stepped up a bit. Despite a headwind and hills, the next 20 miles rolled by with seeming ease; I was at mile 65 at this point, and ready for more than just crackers! We all agreed to a stop, but that we'd try and make it quick: cookies and a soda were all I could think to grab. Ten minutes later, we were off down the infamous River Road (which seems to feature in at least 3 or 4 of my centuries each year). Every couple miles is another river crossing, which seems to make the road shorter than is (even against the headwind). Soon enough we were down to Gruene, and our final turn northward. A strong tailwind made 20 more miles to the coffee shop a literal breeze.

I was at 95 miles when the other riders made their own ways home. I felt like 200k was well within reach -- it was only 2pm. Even better, I thought, I was feeling good enough to take on some of the local hills. I knocked out the first climb up the escarpment, thinking of how I would twist my route around when I heard a loud "plink". There was a new wobble in my front tire, now being held by just 31 spokes. At minimum, I'd be finishing my century, but I wouldn't be taking a wobbly wheel down any serious descents; I started limping towards home.

I was determined to get the 200k, and even considered riding it out with the broken spoke, but my caution got the best of me. It was mile 105 when I got to the garage. I set a personal record for swapping a tire, tube and rotor to a spare wheel, realigned the brake caliper, and was on my way, out towards the 'weekday' loop. Despite a series of setbacks, skipping the morning coffee, the usual long lunch, I was still feeling strong -- perhaps just the usual soreness and discomfort after so many hours on the bike.

It was good to officially get my March century out of the way, and to say I rode a double-metric during the "winter". I may yet finish another century this month, but will certainly be planning for one in April!
Likes For Bulette: