Old 09-21-22, 11:35 AM
r3dr0ver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Looks like an overheated joint that finally developed a crack after many miles. Many Asian frames of this era were made with automatic brazing stations. Ironically Mangalloy was brought out to better handle the production brazing at a lower cost than the top level tube sets did. The two color paint job will be expensive to duplicate or touch up (which i don't suggest as tints are very hard top match well). The only good aspect I see is little dislocation of the cracked tube ends. Andy

Thank you, Andrew and thanks to all of the others who posted in response to my question. I don't know how that photo of my damaged frame got uploaded because the website denied me when I tried. I live in northern Illinois. If anyone can recommend someone in this area whom I could contact about doing the simplest fix, a brazed on sleeve, I'd be most grateful.

If it should come to that, I think that a repaired frame this old should look like one, sort of the bicycle equivalent of an old war wound, healed over, so I would not expect to spend a lot of time and money disguising the repair.

Again, thanks to all.