View Single Post
Old 05-10-21, 05:21 PM
hereandnow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cycling and your heart above age 55

I am 65 and just began road cycling three days a week during the past year and absolutely love it. In general, I've read that intensive exercise is not good for your heart once you're age 55 or so and above. Much more moderate exercise, such as hiking or sports such as pickleball, seems to be the best form of exercise for your heart.

My heart is in decent shape but I still do a stress test on a treadmill with oversight from my cardiologist every few years. I realize that one can choose his own cycling pace, but it feels as if cycling long distances at a decent pace s a mild version of a cardio stress test...in my case three times a week. That doesn't sound so great. We're all going to die of something, but does the idea that cycling long distances at decent speeds might not be a great choice for your heart give anyone else a little pause?

Edit: My cardiologist is not in favor of intensive exercise for anyone above age 55, citing the research of the cardiologist Dr. James O'Keefe, but I know opinions among cardiologists on this topic could vary.

Last edited by hereandnow; 05-10-21 at 05:32 PM. Reason: additional info