View Single Post
Old 10-14-15, 08:51 PM
Shukydurn

Bikes: Mountain Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can boil water in a small milk carton. I am talking about a paper milk carton box with a layer of wax. Not a plastic milk jug. If you've ever drank milk out of a small milk carton at school then you know what I am talking about.
I open a milk carton all the way up, at the top, with no sides touching or connected. About an inch down from the top, poke a hole and another hole on the opposing side in the same area. Take your shoe string and run through both holes and tie together with one end of shoe string way longer then the other end, like in a loop sorta with one end way longer. The long end of the shoe string is what you are going to hold on to. Put water in milk carton. Grab long part of shoe string at the end and pick up and place milk carton over small fire.
You hold the shoe string tied to the milk carton, with the milk carton barely above the flames. It doesn't matter to much if the flames touch the bottom of milk carton. The water and the wax stops the milk carton from burning. No water or liquid and the carton burns.
You can use the milk carton over and over just don't smash it or drag behind your bike to far. It's next to impossible if the milk carton has holes or cracks in the bottom. The water is also good for human consumption, If you can drink boiling water. Oh and you don't need a big camp fire or you'll burn your hand. You can use grass and twigs just fine or a sterno can or what ever small fire or flame you can make.

Now for the life saver:
Take two, 1 liter soda pop bottles, and fill with hot boiling water, put the cap back on the bottles and throw them in your sleeping bag and you have the most toasty wonderful heat ever, for 4 hours. I put the bottles down by my feet and if they are too hot, then wrap in a towel or clothing. I've never had them burn me without wrapping them up, though. When the temperatures are down in the teens you might have to wake up in the middle of the night and boil the water again. And save the water because the water is just fine to drink.
It will not melt your sleeping bag or harm it in anyway.
The bottles will crinkle up but just keep re-using. It doesn't hurt anything.Also don't use the really thin water bottles out of a grocery store. The thicker the plastic the better.

And now to save you when your between a rock and a hard spot.
Back millions and millions of years ago when harley motorcycles had tubes in their tires and that's all they had, smart people used carnation condensed milk as a fix-a flat type thing and here is how it all works.
1.Take valve stem out of tube.
2.open 1 can of carnation condensed milk and get a big mouth full of milk (Don't swallow).
3. squirt milk through valve stem into tube.
Fill your mouth 3 times and squirt and your good to go.
4. You know the rest! Put valve stem back in and air it up.
This technique works best if you put the milk in before you run through a patch of goat heads. However just make sure when you air up your tires that the air tries to shoot the milk out the holes, if any holes. I use tires that inflate to between 45-55 lbs and it works like a charm. Not sure about high pressure tires though. The milk works as slime but way cheaper and the milk doesn't clog up your valve stem like slime and let air out.
It also works best in high temperatures, 80 degrees or above. Doing this in cold or cool temperatures is somewhat difficult.
I'll probably get sued by the slime company for telling you this.L.O.L. You'll never use slime again.
Just try it when your out of patches and your in a lonely little town and no one sells patch kits. It's always worked for me. It adds weight so I use patches as much as possible.
May the tail winds be with you.
If you can re-write my directions in a more explainable way by all means, please do.

Last edited by Shukydurn; 07-10-16 at 12:58 PM.