Old 07-08-22, 07:38 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Curb bike, left in the bulk trash area, been there for over 48 hours and no air in the tires so no one rode it there. Yeah, it's a Huffy. Everything is in good shape, no rust, shockingly good tires. Remove some labels, some adjustments to the brakes and derailleurs and it'll be ready for donation.
A bike of that tape, if that's all that was required then it'd seem a good candidate for a donation-grade bike. Some kid would enjoy it, I'm sure, someone who didn't have a bike. Once of the nice things about bike co-op type places is they can usually get something like this to someone who needs it ... or, use it as a "project" platform for people learning to wrench for the first time.

I might have picked it up and brought it to the co-op in my area, if I thought they could use it.

For me, as with most people, the dividing line is where I believe the resulting value won't be worth the effort. (The line is different for everyone. My own Trek 970, $100 frame w/ original parts, but I've ended up replacing every single part on it. Probably not a value, but it still turned out far better than I had hoped. Worth it, to me.)