View Single Post
Old 08-10-22, 12:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I also suspect that the Garmin algorithm doesn't properly account for higher heart rate due to temperature, even though Garmin claim it does. I've noticed that on hot days, Garmin's reported "Performance Fitness" will be depressed by several points.

Like on today's ride: average temperature around 90F, performance fitness -3, even though I felt fine and was riding comfortably. Additionally, Garmin's "heat acclimation" for the ride was zero, which is ridiculous. Since they can't get heat acclimation even close to right, that increases my suspicion that they don't account for temperature's effect on heart rate.
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
What temperatures did your watch think it was during the ride? Did you have cell reception while you rode? If you use iOS does Garmin Connect Mobile have permission to run in the background?
​​​​​​For both of the features you mentioned to work, Garmin needs the temperature. They don't trust the thermometer in your computer for this, you could have it mounted next to a light that throws off heat, it could be in the sun or shade, etc. So these two features both require live temperature data from Garmin's weather service while you ride. Also both features have a cutoff temperature of 72 degrees F. The questions I asked were to help troubleshoot why this isn't working for you.