Old 11-16-22, 03:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
It may also be that they just want to keep the riff-raff in tents out.
Without actually have a "No Tents" rule - which lots of private campgrounds now have.
When you drop $350,000 for an RV, you don't want some people in an old Honda with a tent next to you.
When I rode the Pacific Coast and stayed at the hiker biker sites at some of the state parks, I politely made a suggestion for improvement at one of the California state parks to one of the employees. She in a hostile voice said - you people in the hiker biker sites are low revenue, you are lucky we let you stay here. That was eight years ago, maybe their attitude has changed since, but I suspect not.

That California state park employee with a bad attitude was an isolated case, but we did feel like the California parks would rather just have higher revenue RVs. We thought that the Oregon state parks were staffed with employees with a much better attitude.

Where practical, I prefer to stay at state or provincial parks. But there are some surprises with private campgrounds and in a few places I found them to be preferable.