View Single Post
Old 06-23-21, 08:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,213 Posts
There's a fairly predictable drift line to threads like these. They start with "I want to navigate for cheap," go through "I've got a problem with my phone" to "I want a GPS but don't want to pay for a [fill-in-the-blank]" and end up with "I want something that combines the best features of a GPS and cell/google maps."

FWIW, here's my take:
1. You can't beat paper maps and cue sheets for price, nor for functionality in remote places.
2. GPS are better than cell phones for battery life, water (sweat and rain) resistance, mounts, and working out of range of cell towers. There are some workarounds available for phones.
3. Phones are better that GPS, if you've got service, for navigating to an address and real time re-routing, though the quality of the re-route may be suspect.
4. With cache batteries, you can extend GPS runtimes to several days' riding; I don't know how long you can extend a cell runtime.

Originally Posted by ksryder
A few years ago I bought a GPS computer with navigation (wahoo bolt) mainly to more accurately log my mileage and keep track of heart rate, but because it came with navigation I might as well give it a shot. After using it in a long gravel race I was an instant convert, you really can't beat the ease and convenience. I'll still carry maps and cue sheets as a backup but it's a definite quality of life upgrade.
If a person wants to get a GPS, they should get a good one. That starts around a Garmin 830 or similar units from other manufacturers, IMHO. Unless you know better what you want, go ahead and get a unit with visible maps, navigation, and connnectivity and smarts for whatever sensors you might want now or in the future (HRM, power meter, etc.). Buying less is like buying a cheap guitar or a cheap bike; if you think you really might like it, the price of the first one is wasted, and it's more likely to make you not want to play, ride, or navigate because the experience of the cheap thing is so bad.