canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
I understand the spoke lights. However, I have all my (street) bikes outfitted with reflective sidewall tires. They're awesome.

I owned the Blackburn 2fer and they were great on the forks, but the little rubber straps kept snapping. The lights eventually fell off...

The Cygolite Dice is not rechargeable :-(
I wouldn't depend too much on reflectors. I have 'em on some tires but I still prefer to add some lights. In my area driver compliance with traffic safety and just simple common courtesy has plummeted to near-anarchy since 2020. Something about the pandemic brought out the worst antisocial characteristics in some people, and it shows in the sharp increase in road rage crime incidents and avoidable fatality wrecks.

I walk a lot after dark and it's not usual to see about 10% of motor vehicles running without lights -- head or taillights. I don't know whether they've disabled the auto-on feature, but these aren't older cars on which it was up to the driver to manually activate lights. I'm guessing some people have disabled all lights because I've seen a few cars on which the brake lights don't light up when they slow and stop at traffic lights. And Texas is basically eliminating vehicle safety inspections so there's no practical way to improve traffic safety.

Regarding rubber band straps for bike lights, yeah, those tend to be a bit fragile. I have some Velcro straps and replacement rubber band straps for some of my most commonly used lights.

BTW, according to the Cygolite website the Dice HL 150 and TL 50 are USB rechargeable.