Old 03-11-12, 04:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaytron
Hey guys, this may be a stupid question but I had my first beginner session yesterday and had a blast. The question now is... how do I get faster? Should I focus on long training rides with the fixed? Maybe climbing with the fixed? Extended climbs with the roadie? Hours on rollers? I want to get faster, but I don't know where to start.
First off, WELCOME to the sport!! You are now a "Trackie"!

mcafiero is assuming that you are like him and are predisposed to being a sprinter. Also, Mark's coach monitors Mark's progress with the files from the power meters on his road and track bikes and adjusts his training program accordingly. I, too, have a power meter, but that's because I'm a data nut. Remember, MOST track racers do not use power meters. I'd say something on the order of 98%, if I had to guess. In the history of cycling, power meters are a very recent invention. Good meals, water, sleep, and stopwatches have made FAR more great cyclists than supplements, energy drinks, and power meters.

I use my power meter simply as a training log to record my training and monitor speed and cadence data and occasional power. Basically I use it in place of having a coach timing me with a stopwatch. As an Elite World Champion once told me "Power meters are really effective for pacing in pursuit training and racing. Not so much for sprinting. There is no pacing in sprinting."

I agree with mcafiero that gym fitness definitely helps with track racing and road cycling in general. There is certainly a bigger anaerobic part to track cycling than long distance road cycling. Of course, as I'm sure you've noticed, dedicated track sprinters spend A LOT of time in the gym, but this means that their short distance game will improve while (chances are) they will lose a good bit of the endurance necessary for longer races.

Assuming your location under your avatar is correct, you live in California near a very active track and you have great weather for road training. Like mcafiero says, spend as much time as you can there doing as much as you can. This includes not only racing, but clinics, training, and watching others race. Track racing isn't rocket science. You can learn most of what you'll need to know within one season in terms of rules, dos/don'ts, tactics, advanced tactics, etc...if you pay attention and get lots of opportunities to use them.

It's easy to get caught up in equipment (frames, wheels, power meters, carbon fiber, etc...), but as a new racer, time on the track and road miles will make you faster than any of that other stuff. On the road, ride with purpose. Don't just lolly-gag around for a few hours hitting up random coffee shops. Maybe find a group ride that's faster than you and hang on for dear life. Or simply bury yourself on solo rides (that's what I do). If you think you'll like longer endurance stuff, a heart rate monitor would be a good investment. These are relatively inexpensive (in the bike world) and very useful if you lean how to use it. But, still, you won't need this until (and unless) you start doing pursuit racing).

Specificity in training will come when you look specialize into in one of the 3 broad categories: Sprint, All-Around, or Endurance.

Right now, I'd vote for you riding lots, racing, watching, asking questions (like you are doing now), eating a lot to replace the calories you'll burn, and most importantly, become a student of the sport. This means reading, watching, and asking questions. Pay attention to those who are ahead of you in the sport (locally and at higher levels). Take note of what they do and find out why they do it. Pay attention to what gear they use...and more importantly, what gear the don't use.

Also, others may disagree, but riding a fixed gear on the road doesn't really do much (if anything) to help you track racing. If that's your only bike, then I understand. But, a road bike will be MUCH more useful and effective as a training tool.

TL;DR: Ride lots. Ask questions. Become a student of the sport.

Last edited by carleton; 03-11-12 at 05:34 PM.