View Single Post
Old 10-04-12, 09:37 AM
Capacity08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running and Cycling

Recently started put together a structured training plan based off of Joel Friel's ATP system, and I came across the problem that my track (running, not velodrome) season would interfere significantly with my cycling season. By the time my I'm done running, it's already early May. Many early spring races have already passed, and the summer criterium season is just around the corner.

My season went poorly last year, due to what I believe is a combination of lack of experience (last year was my first year competitively racing), and improper training. I lacked a large, and structured base segment to prepare me for the demands of rigorous interval training. Part of the problem, I believe was because I didn't start training until early May. I had hoped that the collegiate track running season, which did put me into really good form (for running at least) would translate to a solid base on the bike. I was mistaken. It helped, but in my opinion now, there's no substitute for riding. This year, I intend to do things differently.

But how?

I lift weights in the morning every Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ 6:30. Do not fret, as a 800/1500m runner, its mostly auxiliary, light-high rep weight lifting, mostly designed to keep a powerful core, and build lean leg muscle. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday night is practice from 4:45-7:00 PM. Wednesday is a recovery day.

I don't want to ruin my track season by focusing to seriously on cycling, but I don't want to ruin my cycling season before it starts by not getting my base miles taken care of. So here's my plan:

Ride Tuesday and Thursday morning, I have a good 4 hours in the morning I can dedicate to riding. Then ride Saturday and Sunday on the days I don't have meeets. So thats a maximum 4 days out of the week I can ride, a fairly significant 16hrs a week.

My main concern, and reason for posting this thread is this: Will these base miles hinder my track season? It'd be mostly low intensity riding @ zones 1 and 2, but will my body be ready for a demanding track practice in the evening after a low-intensity but high-duration base ride?

Am I asking too much of myself? With lifting, cylcing, and track practice all crammed into a week will I just be burned out before I get to the season?

Hope you guys can help me out, or suggest some other possibilities.

Thanks,
Capacity08