Thread: Training Advice
View Single Post
Old 09-06-13, 01:51 PM
ephin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, too, will take a crack at this. I commend you on you passion, drive, and, most of all, on getting out there and competing. While most of the people on this forum, I assume, have some track racing experience, I don't. That said, I've been trolling this and other forums for a while trying to learn all I can about cycling and the various subtypes within. I've probably got approx 75,000 lifetime miles under my belt - over 98% of which have been on paved roads (and most of that commuting miles). The first ~30K were when I was 20-23yo, and the rest was 20 years later after 2006. My interest in cycling has steadily grown since taking it up again in 2006. I upgraded equipment, branched out trying some single speed, cross, fixed gear, and MTB. I got a powermeter in 2010 to add some spice to my passion / see "how I measure up". I tried my first group riding in 2011 and have continued to do some ever since. Track riding is a goal of mine (I'm about an hour or so from T-town) hence my trolling of this forum.

I don't think you're crazy for wanting to be a sprinter (if it's any consolation, I'm a psychiatrist so I know a little bit about crazy!). I, too, love sprinting but perhaps for a different reason than you. I like it because I'm no fan of suffering. High intensity riding over 5 minutes starts equating to suffering with me but I can enjoy doing short efforts all day long. Like you, I'm probably not genetically predisposed to be best at sprinting (BTW, you cannot "train" MORE fast twitch fibers, you've either got (a lot of) them or you don't). I'm 5'6", ~150lb (when lean and mean!), hardly your typical track sprinter type (perhaps a miniature version?). Based on my power profile, I'm probably a "puncheur" or "all arounder" or something in between. My power/weight and endurance are respectable for my age so I can hang alright with the climbers. My ability to hold near threshold while getting aero makes me alright on the flats (TT efforts or pulls). But where I excel most (at least compared to other riders on strava or group rides) is on short climbs / rollers where I can sprint up all or most of the way (climbs or rollers that last 90 seconds or less). I also seem to carry a decent number of "matches" in my reserve as I can do the bursts over and over on longer rides as long as I get some recovery between efforts (you know, groups rides when the hammerheads like to crank it up over and over).

All I've worked on, observed, and learned about my strengths/weaknesses/passions so far has been on the road, not the track. I'm learning that track cycling is a different beast (mostly from trolling on bikeforums). I'll know better, once I actually get on the track. I'm looking forward to actually trying the track and fully intend to take some lessons / get some coaching (I think it's mandatory before they'll let a noob on the track). Since there are plenty of short events in track cycling, I'm hoping that something will play to my strengths and not equate to too much suffering. I agree with some of the previous replies - that it all depends on what your goals are - and, I would add, the goals of your coach/team, if applicable. I intend to do my best to learn, be open minded, and try everything when I eventually do get on the track. The beauty of it all, is that even if I go after a discipline that isn't my coaches top recommendation, I'm sure I'll still learn something, have fun, and develop as a cyclist and human being.

I, sadly (to some degree), am one of the many people in this world who can identify with the saying "youth is wasted on the young". You, however, seem to be a shining example of the "carpe diem" spirit. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by ephin; 09-06-13 at 01:57 PM.