Thread: Training Advice
View Single Post
Old 09-30-13, 11:51 AM
girlcyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply! Thank you everyone for your advice, really appreciate it, it means a lot and its interesting and good to know the different ways I can achieve this, so thanks again!

I've come up with a plan based on the advice I've been given on here, and research I've done:
This is for the 'base' period of my plan, which the aim is to get stronger, flexibility, build explosive, and aerobic endurance.

MONDAY: Flexibility: Yoga and Pilates
TUESDAY: Recovery ride AM, Standing starts (2sets, 5 reps: 5 mins rest between reps, 10 mins between sets. Double Kick PM (3sets 2reps (1 seated, 1 standing)- 7 mins recovery between reps, 12mins between sets)WEDNESDAY: Plyometrics Session AM (following some 'beginners' workout videos to begin with) Track Skills session PM
THURSDAY: Cyclocross Training- Its a tough workout with a local club, lots of sprints, small amount of running/up hills, short and fast but painful! I figured this will help with my bike handling skills, aerobic, and it means I can get competitive since there are a lot of others riding.
FRIDAY: REST (Off the bike completely...maybe a swim)
SATURDAY: 2-3 hours on the road, using only smallest gears, literally spinning to improve cadence and pedal technique. Jumps PM, 6 seconds all out from walking pace (3sets: 1 set up a steep hill, 1 set on flat, 1 set on slight downhill: 3reps: 2 standing, 1 seated)
SUNDAY: Gym: I'm working alongside a strength coach at the gym who has agreed to build me a programme based on explosivity and a little core/upper body work.

Feel free to criticise/give feedback on this, I plan on following this plan for 6 weeks then moving onto a 'build' period and working on longer sprints, and intervals etc.

Again, thanks for all the advice everyone!