Old 12-02-08, 06:31 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Bruce:

I still have that one Schlumpf SD from you... I bought it specifically for the Birdy, even though at that stage I was unsure of what I would be getting.

One reason it isn't installed yet, is the Birdy's rear swivel arm has a slight depression where the chain goes past. I'm unsure at this stage whether the smaller chain ring required by the Schlumpf will cause regular chain rubbing.
That's interesting.. not exactly positive of the answer there.. looking at my Birdy, I can't see where a decrease in chainring diameter would cause any clearance problems.. my bike has a double chainguard and the inner chainguard doesn't contact the frame... I think the Capreo Birdy runs a smaller chainring (45t) as I remember... this would yield a 288% range of approximately 30 to 88 gear inches.

Originally Posted by jur
Unrelated Schlumpf questions:
1. Do you get the gear shifting buttons unscrewing? I have a few times just caught one or the other button before it fell off mid-ride. I have made a tool for tightening but that hasn't helped. The locking set screws are as tight as I dare. I daren't use Loctite for fear of not getting the button off again when I need to. Any thoughts?
I lost one once... looked for 1/2 hour and I knew within a block of where it fell off... my guess was it must have rolled into the sewer.. from that time on, I use a spot of Loctite blue (as you know, same as what's on lots of brake adjusting screws).. none of my shift buttons have fallen off since and I'm still able to remove them if I want ..

Originally Posted by jur
2. Do you get slippage of the bottom bracket when in overdrive? This has happened to me a few times now, not very bad though, but enough that I avoid hard cranking in overdrive.
I don't, and all my installations have aluminum BB's, but they are cinched down pretty well.. do you have the Schlumpf socket tool?