View Single Post
Old 01-06-06, 11:27 PM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know how simply I live, I think it is rather relative. In comparing myself to my family and friends I'm pretty simple. I do own a big TV but I watch DVDs, only Saturday night do the cat and I sit in front of the boob tube, Cops. I watch movies and DVD bike races (love Paris-Roubaix). I own a big American made van, that is back on the road. I have a one bedroom apartment, a mile from work, I let the guy below me heat the place, I've come home and it's been 70 in my apartment. I cook my own meals, with exception of what I eat at work and Friday afternoons I eat lunch with my brother, and one Saturday a month I eat with all three brothers and their kids. I used to be a regular at coffee joints, but I solved that when my step dad gave me his old Krups espresso machine, so the only reason I go to a coffee house is to get beans.
At Christmas I shocked everyone that I drove to the family get together, because I ride most everywhere I go.
I hang on to the van with the idea of using it as a camper/sag wagon, but I have been working on a touring bike for two years now, and think I'm close to being dialed in.
On the complicated side of things, I own a small bike shop, or so I am told, 16 makes me a bike shop, a couple (4) are frames that I'm slowly acquiring parts for. I have two track frames, and a bunch of road/fixed conversions, as well as a road bike, the touring bike and an MTB.
I just cleaned out the closet of my old cloths, donating them to the halfway house I work in. I bought a bunch of wool sweaters at Goodwill for Christmas, they are great for riding in.
Like others have said before me, I still have a long way to go. I dream of having two maybe three bikes, but I like all of them and have a little blood sweat and tears in them too. I have cross-country skies, a revived obsession from my youth, and camping equipment, both for car and bike camping.
I contemplate moving every other week, to a climate that is more bike friendly, and could get rid of the behemouth, it's an expenditure, like everyone has said that I can do without.
Currently my simplicity has run to Zen, and getting up at 5 am to go to the Zendo and sit, it is amazing what has been showing up on the junk pile on trash day, my old PCs and monitors. I still cling to things like books, mostly Zen. I could rid myself of a lot of pocessions and still live pretty comfortably. Maybe it will come with my awakening, or I'll awaken to the impermanence of pocessions... Hmm, must speak to the master...