Old 01-07-06, 11:07 AM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smithers
i've had great luck getting rid of stuff on ebay and craigslist; i agree with dahon steve-stay out of the credit card trap! i had myself in quite a $$$ mess when i had credit card debt and it SUCKS!
a great thread! i'm always excited to read about others living lightly / cheaply /clutter-free!!
i made the last big "chunk" payment on my CC last fall, and i have an obessesion with remaining free of credit card debt. intangible as it is, it's a trendemendous

i've had up and down CC for 11 years. i've gotton it down, racked it up, paid with some help my 'rents, racked some more up. there's so many "get out of CC guides out there" but i think they're missing one point: they tell you to cut back on things, cut out little expenses like $20-30 a month things, watch how much you eat out, etc. that's smart, but it won't happen without a fundamental life philosophy change regarding your goals, need, and wants. if you still like going to the mall to BUY stuff to make yourself happy, it won't happen. i believe spending is like an addiction, and eventually you'll relapse. if you hang out with friends who don't see a good time as anything else than spending $100 on dinner and martini, it's a tough call and you may see less of them. on the other hand you may find friends that enjoy things like drinking coffee at a diner, or practicing spanish together.

i noticed even last year, that when i had $4,000 in debt, it's a lot easier to justify spending 40-60 bucks on something. it's barely a dent in what you owe. now with a clean slate, i watch my purchases even MORE carefully than when i had a few grand on the cards.

also you can then using cards to MAKE you money. some cards offer 1-5% cash back on purchases, and i have a UAL miles card - so even though i prefer cash, i use mine for groceries, gas, etc.. and as soon as i walk in the door make an online payment from my checking account for $40-50 or whatever i spent.

oh i think ebay and craigslist are excellent tools for our culture. i find clothes, tools, books, gifts, and lots of new stuff too. i hope craigslist stays exactly the way it is and never sells out to registrations, ads, etc

all the best and happy saturday!!!