Thread: Bar Tape
View Single Post
Old 09-18-21, 10:10 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
I only wrap from the top down. That way I don't have to use any "finishing tape" or electrical tape on the tops of the bars. I've never had any tape come unwrapped either...probably because I know how to actually wrap tape tightly and neatly. Back in the olden days you couldn't wrap from the top down cause they had that ****** fabric tape and for some reason oldster's like to make that stuff last for a decade. Now I like to try different tapes and one of the best feelings is putting on some new bar tape to start the outdoor riding season.

There's a couple of decent videos on YouTube for wrapping from the top down. Go ahead...be a rebel and watch old fart's harrumph themselves to death...cause "you can't do THAT!"
I've started wrapping from the hoods out.

You have to judge it carefully at the start to make sure you have the right amount either side, but it means you're overlapping in the same direction that your hands naturally twist, both on the tops, and in the drops. It also means not having to do a complicated figure-8 around the hood like some videos will try to show you. It works with glueless tape, too, as you're securing the tape at both ends (plug at the bottom, tape at the top).

I like having the bit of finishing tape at the top. It can add a bit of flare, or a different colour trim.