genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by jgadamski
Couldn't say. I just said Forrester helped me immensely. There is certainly a lot to dislike about JF, especially his strong views regarding separated facilities. ( he has stated that trails and 'special facilities' for bikes are doing cycling a huge disservice. I do not hold that view. My sense is a large number of folks will not even try to ride for transportation, lacking safe facilities. I do see a great number of folks who do not ride with knowledge of how to get from A to B safely. I wish there were a advocate who could send that message of safe riding technique and experience. I have yet to find that person.
I don't know about schools teaching riding skills. My guess is local bias would often do more harm than good. Watching creationism being taught while scientific method being shut down suggests we would do better to keep our childrens safety out of the hands of the 'experts' at the schools.
So basically while you wish for some advocate to teach people to ride, you deny the use of the very available and ubiquitous school system out of some "political fear..." thus putting that whole notion of training people to "properly" right bicycles right onto the back burner all over again... hence, no progress.